The Iowa Building was located at 103 S. 2nd Street on the corner of 2nd St & Broadway. The building housed the Muskogee National Bank, Schmitt Dry Goods, Law and Real Estate offices, along with the Iowa Land and Trust Company.
Photo is Courtesy of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Elliott Brothers Clothing store was on the first floor of the Brown Building and was the only place you could buy a Stetson cowboy hat.
The European Hotel along with other office spaces and living quarters on the upper floor were all located at 109-111 S. 2nd Street.
Photo Courtesy of Elliott family.
The Grand Theatre was located at 117 S. 2nd Street and aptly named for this beautiful structure provided movies and live entertainment for black patrons and was owned by the Proctor and Marsh Company, who also owned several other downtown theaters.
This photo is Courtesy of the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Businesses were located in the R. Love building such as physicians, lawyers, real estate companies, barber shops, laundry, restaurant, hat company and a grocery store. Located at 200 S. 2nd Street.
Photograph of the Jones Block, built in 1904, was located at 201-207 South 2nd street.
JW Sharpe's office is on the second floor and the signs on the fence are from Wood Pallet to the Hinton Theatre which was located on the NW corner of Court and 3rd street.
The building here includes the Martin Cafe' and Restaurant, lawyer's offices, and also a bath facility.
Photo by William Prentiss Greene, Muskogee, OK, c. 1905-1908.
Later, the popular Elliott's Clothing Store and the town's African American library were in the 200 block of South 2nd street.
The Midland Valley Railroad Company was incorporated in 1903.
In 1916, its headquarters were located here. Elgin avenue was fronted by four different railroads which employed hundreds of workers. Many rooming houses and hotels around the depot catered to the railroad workers as well as travelers.
The renovated structure currently houses the Three Rivers Museum located at 2nd & Elgin St. (See photo at the top of the page).
The Escoe Building was located at 228-230 N. 2nd Street (intersection of 2nd & Court St) and housed the first black owned bank in Oklahoma, PeoplesNational Bank and was the only professional office building within the Black Business District. This was organized by black investors including W.T. Escoe. The building later became known as the Simmons Building, named after Jake Simmons. Jake (J.J.) owned the Simmons Royalty Company and operated the first major petroleum firm in Oklahoma. (No photo available)